I've been looking at this a bit this week. It appears that the RaspyFi partners had a bit of a falling out and now there are two, similar projects - Volumio and RuneAudio. All of those guys seem to be pretty fixated on Fidelity, with quite a lot of attention to I2S boards and DACS that cost as much or more than the Raspberry Pi itself. I haven't really seen the web control interface, which is really the key element for me.

I'm also looking at various forms of and platforms for Kodi, which is the new name for XBMC. I really need the audio only thing, though.

The other thing I've been fiddling with is Roku, Plex server and rarflex. But I really want a solution that doesn't require me to use a display like a TV to control the music stream.

I'm starting to think that the approach Murph suggested is the way to go, but I'm a little nervous about how geeky it is. And I'm going to have some money into the hardware by the time I get the Board, DAC, power supply, case and whatnot. I'm not convinced that the headphone jack from the Pi is going to be good enough, and I have my own reasons for not wanting to use the HDMI.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem