Now that it's finally broken in, I feel I can comment...

I have a Denon AVR-2803. I was also considering a Yamaha RX-V1400 and a Marantz SR5400.

I went with the Denon because the 'rantz lacked a phono jack and, even though I prefer the looks/ergonomics of Yamahas, the local dealer didn't have one in stock. I figure, if I'm going to pay B&M retail+tax, I ought to get to fiddle with it some, right? So, based on rep, specs, and price, plus impatience, I got the Denon from Crutchfield.

Pros:
  • phono input (which I have yet to take advantage of)
  • 7.1 x 90 wps (only using 5.1 now, but like the ability to add a second zone)
  • Variable sub x-over (which I have set to the default)
  • Remembers the output mode for each component. (Makes it easier for my wife to use and enjoy.)

Cons:
  • The manual. Let's just say I had an easier time with Kant's "The Critique of Pure Reason." In German. Oh well. At least I don't have to write a term paper about it.
  • The design. It doesn't look bad, per se. It's just not as cool looking, IMHO, as the Yamaha.
  • The remote. Even though I've programmed it run my other components, I still have a full coffee table. It does all the basics well enough; invariably, though, there's some special function that the AVR remote doesn't do (or is too tricky to figure out).

Overall, I'm giddy as a school girl. No reservations. No what-ifs. No upgraditis.

I've only checked out a few of the DSPs. Mostly I leave it on "Direct" for music and "Dolby Digital" for movies. This being my first AV receiver and HT setup, I'm kinda like a monkey with a digital watch: Every little thing it does just blows my mind. Sometimes I even throw feces at the neighbors. But that's another post...