Hi brendo, I checked those youtubes and it is lots of fun, though some of them (like XRAYTONYB) are for a super-very-narrow niche of hobbyists. I appreciate what they do... lots of nostalgia ... but we cannot return to.

What I truly value from those days is design ideas and incomparable quality of labor. Comparing with today, their electronic circuits and way of fabricating discrete components were not necessarily better, actually, most of the time it was worse. However, huge and real problem started with greed-motivated death-race that flipped the industry upside-down and shot down great businesses and great ideas.

On the other hand, we have number of new and fascinating inventions that came along out of overall technological progress. Not only tremendous knowledge has been accumulated but new engineering and high-tech materials reshaped the market and opened brand new opportunities. Who would have thought about metal or nanotube speaker membranes in 70's, 80's or even 90's? Another one is the progress in DAC and, specifically, DSP segment - it is just mind-blowing...

I am constantly looking for those who are able to mix the best of both worlds. A good example of such is Yamaha's A-S* series of stereo-amplifiers (such as A-S2100). They aggregate 40-years of their acoustic engineering and design experience. Keeping the prices at reasonable level is also part of that secret.

I am sorry for diverting from speakers to more general topics...
Yes, we need more reviews of Axiom speakers for sure.

Cheers and best of all!

Last edited by Sinclair; 11/29/20 04:46 AM.