I do believe there is a limit though. If you buy too cheap, things can be really cheap and i don't mean the DIY projects.
Anyone find (non vintage) speakers for under $150 that actually sound as quality as say the Axiom M2s? Because they sell lots in box stores...

I can't count the number of people i know who buy whatever sound bar they can find at Best Buy and it sounds loud but not great, almost distorted or something, but they are super happy with it, until they hear something really quality...
Had a parent party years ago at our house. Showed some of the parents some of the better quality sound on our system (DVD-audio discs, U571 depth charge scene). Ran into a guy this past fall before things shut down at the rinks and i hadn't seen him since that year probably 5 or 6 years ago. He still remembered the audio demonstration and asked again if i still had the system and what the speaker brand was.
If it is THAT memorable, what does that tell you about buying the cheap stuff at box stores. Still worth the lower cost? Perhaps for some.
Not for me.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."