Generally speaking, for several years now even with my previous AVRs, I always tended to connect to outboard amps anyway and it generally relates to power specs. The mainstream manufacturers have aways been criticized(and the criticism is probably valid)that they tend to quote high power ratings i.e. 130/150 watts with one or two channels driven whereas, in reality, if it is a 7/9/11 channel AVR that claims the above wattage, when all channels are driven the actual output is maybe a liitle more than half the claimed total. If you have a good 5 or 7 outboard amp and it specs are 150 watts/ch. ALL channels driven, generally that is what you are going to get. For eg. Axiom amps.

One thing I noticed in recent years with the the mid to lower tier AVR models, other than the usual sub outs and maybe a couple of channels, they have started to quietly eliminate the pre-outs on all channels negating the option of using additional outboard amps almost forcing you to buy the more expensive models who still have the pre outs included.