No, the newer units don't use the SI chip. It is more expensive and Denon made a conscious decision to use the cheaper Farojda chip to keep the price down. Also, don't get hung up on newer/older technology. The reason DVD players exist, first and foremost is for PQ. Audio is nice, but the film's the thing.

The technology add-on in the 2910 and 3910 really boils down to upconverting and zooming. They also have DVI/HDMI. Most accounts I have read on these things, even beyond Denon equipment, is that they don't provide the end result that people get excited about.

Shop where you will, but keep Crutchfield's $699 (or less in their Outlet or Scratch & Dent) price in the back of your mind. Their Customer Service is as legendary as Axiom's and everything comes with a 30 day no questions asked return privelige that includes freight both ways.

As a matter of fact, I just checked and they have a black 2900 in Scratch & Dent for $594 as I type this. Hmmmm! It won't last long, but another would likely show up soon.

Last edited by Ray3; 11/24/04 03:39 AM.