Maybe I am entering this thread late and have been bypassed by the opportunity to express anything relevant, but I wanted to say something anyways. I agree with Bren in a way, dishonesty is a poor sales tactic and should be exploited if possible. However, I think than rather then pitching a bunch of bunkum he was just trying to make a connection with you based on similar interests. He knew you weren't there for advice on home theater components and wasn't trying to give you any. He was obviously interested for reasons other than monetary, and got in over his head quickly.
So he wasn't humble enough to admit it(we all know you have NEVER agreed to avoid embarrassment) and tell you he wasn't as 'audiophile' as you. I have done the same thing on several occaisons pertaining to various topics. Not becuase I felt I 'had to talk out of my a$$' but because I wanted to make the other person feel as if we were relating, and give the conversation validity. I know I would be insulted if some guy came on a Dell message board and vaunted about the time he was talking to an 'idiot' who didn't know the difference between a computer processer equipped with Hyper Threading as opposed to an AMD based chip without it. Intelligence is not determined by an indivuals knowledge of one or more subjects, it is determined by the aptitude for obtaining and comprehending knowledge. So, this person is not an 'idiot' because he didn't know the professional term of the number of channels in a home theater system or hasn't heard about a niche' speaker company of whom Best Buy has no affiliation with. Instead, you are an elitist and separatist who uses the guise of speaker knowledge to exert artificial superiority over those who you embody as past or present threats to your personal identity; or lack thereof. Insecurity is simple to identify when presented so discernibly, a facile denial will only corroborate my denunciation.

Yes I'm a novelist, I've got an obscenely prodigious vocabulary, and yes I flaunt it unabashedly.