Well gents I took the afternoon off and went and listened to both a VTF-2 MK 2 and a VTF-3 MK 2. Both are awesome subwoofers. The folks at the HSU forums were kind enough to put me in contact with people locally who had the subs.

So I grabbed some CD's and a few DVD's and off I went to meet some new folks. I'm not going to write a review here as everything that can be said about these subs is out there already. Anyway after 3 hours with the VTF-2 MK 2 and roughly 2 with the VTF-3 MK 2 I can say this with certainty, these subs are very, very close to each other. The VTF-3 MK 2 definitely hits harder and goes lower but the VTF-MK 2 is no slouch at all.

During my travels today I shot off an email to the good Dr at HSU regarding my concern that a 10inch sub was going to be more musical then a 12inch model. His response to this is below and they are his words:

In reply to:

The VTF-3 Mk 2 is at least as musical as the VTF-2 Mk 2

Funny thing is SVS said the same thing. a 12inch can rock just as good and just as fast and tight as a 10inch.

After today, I hate to admit this as I was in the 10inch camp, they are both right. The VTF-3 MK 2 hammered out some very nice bass and was tight and fast. I heard no audible difference in tracks between the two models when it came to the way they handled music. If anything I think the VTF-3 MK 2 may have actually been a little better but it may have been due to the fact it was a little louder. It also reminded me of the Sunfire..................which still blows me away!

So based on my room size, tastes, the fact that I will be using a Behringer and the recommendation from Dr. HSU, I ordered the VTF-3 MK 2 from a dealer out in Toronto. I should have it by the end of next week.

One more thing to note. I also asked Dr. HSU about the current Behringer trend concerning subwoofers. This is what he had to say:

In reply to:

The Behringer 1124P should be a useful addition. It should be able to help reduce room peaks. If budget is not an issue, you should use that in the system as well. Flattening the response certainly would mean you will need a higher headroom sub.