Craig, I'm not arguing in favour of the government controlling who gets married... I'm saying that the government IS doing the marrying, ie the marriages are civil ceremonies not religious ceremonies.

>>I am opposed to a system which rewards societal behavior. As someone who has been married for 16 years, I have some questions that answers to would be fascinating.

Not sure I agree with you here. Our societies have always rewarded certain kinds of behaviour and I don't really have a problem with that. Regarding marriage, there are two reasons why society sees fit to reward it :

1. Anyone making a commitment to support another "in sickness and in health etc.." provides one of the most important support systems in our society, arguably as important or more important than health care. As a society, we feel that pairwise relationships are the most stable and effective, and we reward those relationships with tax benefits and the ability to share other benefits (health care etc..).

2. Marriage was traditionally associated with child-rearing and genetic diversification, which we also support and reward as a society. Everything from wedding presents to barn-raisings has been geared around giving a new couple a solid foundation to support themselves and their future family members.

Same-sex marriage is so hotly debated up here (apart from the knee-jerk reactions) because the first part clearly applies to same sex couples every bit as much as male/female couples, but the second part (child rearing) typically does not apply.

The people in support of same-sex marriage support it because they feel it is equally valid due to the first point. The people who oppose same-sex marriage feel it is not equivalent because of the second point, and they aren't enthusiastic about same-sex couples raising children.

Needless to say, the two factions never talk to each other so this disconnect still persists.

Last edited by bridgman; 07/02/05 04:50 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8