Peter, While you are lauding Adam's finding of another dictionary's definition of the word bias, keep in mind that it (The Oxford definition) included "Prejudice against or for one thing, person or group against another" ... not exactly virtuous, even if you leave the "usually unfair" portion out.

If you and Adam wish to think that everyone enters a thought process with prejudice, that is your perogative.

When it comes to the definition of the word "bias", there are not "many nuances" - the word means one is predisposed to think a certain way, USUALLY unfairly. Yes, I find SOME people to behave this way, but not EVERYBODY.

You also, in your response, said things I did not. I never "specifically" called anything a "real" definition, I merely posted what The American Heritage Dictionary has as a definition of the word "bias" when regarding a person or people. They also had wording about the bias of cloth, woodgrain, and other inanimate objects, but I was pretty sure that was not applicable to humans.