No, you do not NEED 1.3. Definitely, do not. Is it worth waiting for? Maybe, maybe not. With 1.3 you will get True color, auto lip sinc, and higher band width carrying capabilities for DD-HD and DTS-M. You will also get a whole new batch of bugs. So take your chances.

One question about the HDMI 1.3 and the lip synch issue. I am doing advance reconnaissance for purchases over the next year....Does anyone encounter lip synch issues? Is there anyway with current technology to correct it? The reason I ask - I don't have digital cable nor do I have an HD TV - far from it - I don't even have an STB. Yet every now and then I have lip synch issues watching regular TV. I think it must be an equipment problem with Time Warner somewhere up the line - so the HDMI 1.3 probably wouldn't fix it. Since it is irritating, I am wondering if putting together a new TV, Digital Cable, Receiver, and DVD is lip synch something that I should be concerned about......Argon

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill