Hi everyone,

I'm new to HT but am a seasoned veteran to appreciating high quality sound. I'd really love some advice on what I should do with my limited budget.

I'm looking to spend about $2,500 or so for Christmas towards some AV gear for our basement theatre that we're putting together. Early next year, I could throw some more money towards it, so, I'm looking at buying my gear in phases and would really like to enjoy each phase, rather than spend a lot of money and in return have a noticeably incomplete setup.

My theater room specs are roughly:

Total room size: 24' x 23'
Active theatre section of room: 17' x 14'
Distance of seating area to screen location: 12'
Area behind and to the right of seating area is a pool table/ bar section.
Ceiling height: 7'3"

There's a wooden support beam that runs along the ceiling parallel to the seating area and viewing screen. It runs at a 13' distance from the screen location that hangs down about a foot and is pre-wired for a projector. That same beam is also pre-wired 4' to the left and right of the projector for surround speakers. Hopefully that is okay, as that was how the house was wired when we bought it. The ceiling is made of pop-out paneling, so I could theoretically put speakers wherever I wanted pretty easily.

In regards to non-speaker gear, I need an AV Receiver and projector. I already have an extra DVD player (OPPO 981), a projector screen that came with the house, and a boat-load of wiring.

For the AV Receiver, I'm looking at the Onkyo TXSR605, which at $399, I've read it is a great deal. If you have suggestions otherwise, chime in!

For the projector, I'm looking at the Mitsubishi HD1000U, which I've read at $849, is a great buy. Again, recommendations?

But let's talk speakers!

I'm pretty sold on Axiom and I haven't heard a note yet. Scary, but I'm trusting the countless glowing reviews I've read on pretty much their entire line of products, and judging by the people on this board and their insights that I've read, I think the concept "smart people make smart purchases" applies to Axiom.

So... with the above 2 non-speaker items weighing in at about $1300, that leaves me with an immediate $1200 or so for speakers. Not a lot, trust me...I know. But, I've got to spend money on the kiddies and wife too. But like I said, I can potentially triple that investment next year. Hope to, plan to.

The thing is, I don't want to spend $1200 on a very noticeably incomplete speaker set up right now, because I'd like it to be gratifying right off the bat, and more importantly, if it doesn't sound good, how do I explain the cost to my beautiful wife!?

Which brings me to the M60. Could/should/would I get the M60 and VP150 for about $1400 now, and later on, add to them with QS8's and a EP350? From what I read, the M60's are pretty incredible right from the start and can be added to later on.

Another option, more financially viable, is to only get the M60's right now (along with the AVR and Projector) and piece-meal the rest of my kick-butt Axiom Theatre next year.

Or...

Would I be better paying $1250 or so for for the M22's alongside some QS4's, a VP100 and the M22 stands (FMS16)? And later on I could add the EP350, etc. I'd like to eventually get the QS8's and VP150 instead, but maybe that is unnecessary?

Lastly, I should note, that I also own the following speakers that came with the house when we bought it, that, while not top-notch quality, could serve as the surround sound until better speakers are bought. Currently, they're used for our upstairs surround sound, but I have no prob moving them, I just don't want them to bring the quality of my theatre setup down.

Cambridge Soundworks Newton MC100 (Surround; I have 2)
Pioneer CS-X580K (Surround; I have 2)

So...summing up. The three options I'm looking at are:

Option #1: approx. $2250
Receiver Onkyo TXSR605 $399.99
Projector Mitsubishi HD1000U $849.99
Mains Axiom m60 $990.00

Option #2: approx. $2650
Receiver Onkyo TXSR605 $399.99
Projector Mitsubishi HD1000U $849.99
Mains Axiom m60 $990.00
Center Axiom VP150 $408.00

Option #3: approx. $2600
Onkyo TXSR605 $399.99
Mitsubishi HD1000U $849.99
Axiom M22 v2 $470.00
Axiom QS4 $428.00
Axiom VP100 $255.00
Axiom FMS16 $196.00 (stands)

Your thoughts? Thanks in advance and thanks for reading!