@Rick: thanks for the link and advice. That sub looks great.

It's nice to hear that the one thing most everyone agrees on is the acquistion progression. It helps me phase this out so that I can enjoy each step, which is very important to not only me, but towards WAF.

I'm going to read-up on the Yammy 661. I have no preference on which receiver to go with, I just want to avoid (the inevitable) upgrade itch as long as I can with that purchase. The Onkyo was merely an AVSForum recommendation that I stumbled upon, but that 661 looks very nice.

@Tomtuttle: Regarding my surrounds: basically, if you were sitting on my couch and looked straight up and back 1 foot, you'd see the projector. To the left and right of the projector, approx 4 feet out from the projector, is where you'd find the left and right surrounds. So, they're mounted on the ceiling beam, approx 7' off the ground, 4' to the left and right of you. Hope that helps a bit. I may have not mentioned, but the 7.1 side-surrounds are pre-drilled too. The guy that owned this house prior to me really did his homework.

It seems like the consensus is to get mains first. I suppose the question running thru my brain regarding which mains to get is this:

Should I spend the $1200 or so on M80's or should I spend $900 on M60's and put the remaining $300 towards the purchase of the VTF-2 MK 3 Subwoofer, or the like?

It seems like everyone universally feels that a sub should come before a center. So, the question for me is whether the M80's alone would suffice until sometime next year, or would the M60/VTF-2 MK3 combo trump it for a little more cabbage?

I plan to give my existing surrounds a whirl alongside whichever of the 2 above options I decide to go with. I may also poke around with the Pioneer center I have and if not, I could go phantom like some of you suggested. So, it looks like a 5.1 vs. 5.0 question. (do you still call it 5.1 with a phantom center?) Weird, eh?

Any other thoughts on this? Thanks again for all the feedback.