Originally Posted By: vassillios
I keep saying this, blu-ray is going to win this war because it has a cooler name. Blu-ray rolls off the tongue and has a color / "sense" (optic) that you can associate to it. HD DVD just sounds blah.

Also, apple backs blu-ray......

I just have to say that these are two of the weakest reasons that could possibly account for Blu-ray's success. If names were an indicator, how did the Nintendo Wii do so well? EVERYONE was making fun of its name, and it seems to be doing fine.

And what does Apple backing Blu-ray have to do with anything? It's not like we'll be able to watch Blu-ray Discs on iPods or iPhones, and their computer business is still a drop in the bucket.

It seems fairly obvious that it comes down to studio support and install base, which Sony was able to secure by launching the PS3 with Blu-ray as standard and slapping the consumers with two forms of DRM to make movie studios feel a little more secure.

If Blu-ray really is where the industry heads, then I'll follow, but I think it's wrong to simply hand them their victory, even after this news.