This whole Hi-Def format war made me sick from the start. First Disney puts money into the development of HD-DVD but pulls out when HD-DVD won't push to the limits Disney wants in terms of anti-theft-ware. Then Disney and Fox plant their flags into Blu. It was Disney and Fox who also planted their flags into Divix years ago.
I still don't understand how so many units of Blu-ray players and movies were sold simply due to the fact there are a more wider range of film released on HD-DVD. The Blu release slate is for the most part filled with more recent bombs inwhich the studios are still trying to get their money back on by showcasing a new format. Aside from teh few hits most are duds that no one wanted to see in the theatre - like I was to see that crap clearer and more defined?!!
Meanwhile there have been release with less bonus features on Blu than on the standard versions - what the hell is that all about?! The new format boasted all this extra room so where is it being used! It's a rip-off. Not to mention why aren't certian films which have been publicized as being digially restored and remastered in High Def available IN HI-DEF - case in point all the BOND film released last year in box sets.
For over 5 years now Sony/Colunbia has made it known on the back cover of their releases standard DVD released have been mastered in HIGH DEF. Where are they? Instead they expect the public to put them in the black with newer theatrical bombs.
Then there's the whole mess of releasing players that change which every six month slate - can't they just get it right from the get go? Why do they have to use the consumer as a lab mouse by selling obsolete players compared to software released the next month. HD-DVD seems to have their act a little more together. I don't even want to get into what Disney is shoveling.
Their head of DVD operations shout Blu is quality - yet this is the same studio that has at least a dozen DVD releases using masters done over 10 years ago meant for Laserdisc (THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, SISTER ACT, THE JOY LUCK CLUB, HOCUS POCUS, and more)
If Disney is SOOOO into BLU why aren't they release the new re-mastered re-release of the animated 101 Dalmations in on Blu along with the standard release! No, in stead they are planning to release SLEEPING BEAUTY on Blu - a title that under performed when released as a special edition on standard DVD.
Thank you, I have my OPPO and my Anthem D2 with video upconverting that makes all standard DVD 1080p and has fooled my friends and reletives into thinking it's Hi-Def - at least until the dust settles and cary atmosphere is gone from this Hi-Def bull.