I don't entirely feel like it was a complete bad move, but In the whole scheme of things the purchase was not needed.

I have enjoyed at least 15 HD movies on it so far, so all has not been lost.

I have not received my 5 free HD DVD's yet... I have no idea how long that takes- I sent off for them right after walmart had the $98 dollar sale- however long ago that was...?

Anyway- I am thinking about getting the Panasonic DMP-BD30 bluray player.

It can be had for $425 or so on amazon. I think it passes bitstream truehd and DTS HD to allow the receiver to do the decoding. This will work fine as I have the 3808. I personally don't care if the decoding of the HD sound formats is done in the player or the receiver, as long as I can play them I don't think it matters. If I let my receiver do the decoding at least I can get the TrueHD and DTS HD lights to light up on my receiver \:\)

Also, I just bought the DVE calibration DVD on HD DVD but it is a dual layer disc- So the standard def side will still work if I sell my HD DVD player. strangely enough, the Hd DVD/SD DVD combo disc was cheaper then the regular DVD when I bought it.

I liked HD DVD better then bluray, but I will buy whatever plays the movies that are comming out.

EDIT: I just realized that the panasonic bluray player mentioned above has PIP capability (bluray 1.1) but no ethernet port for web enabled features (bluray 2.0).

I find it odd that I can get a $98 HD DVD player with both of these features, yet a $400+ bluray player has only one.

Last edited by terzaghi; 01/05/08 05:36 PM.

-David