Originally Posted By: nickbuol
It would the same approach that the Blu-Ray camp took... Force the technology on people...

I'm not really on either side, but why would you think they forced it on people? Didn't HD DVD try just as hard to woo studios? Basically, the market decided. It's all happened before: Betamax,
Harvard Graphics, Improv, MCIMail, Compuserve, Geos operating system, Ventura publisher, OS/2, Lotus 123, WordPerfect, Dbase, Borland, on and on and on went the way of the dodo bird.

In some cases, marketing won, in others, superior technology won.

I think for the most part, the market decided. And if Warner declared its allegiance to Bluray before Christmas, people would have hounded them for trying to tank HD DVD during the busiest shopping season.

I do find it interesting that people have such strong feelings about Bluray vs HD DVD. I remember when AVS shut down the forums because people were going nuts (from what I read). For me, either would have been fine. HD DVD was more ready now, but Bluray probably have more future potential. Whether that comes to fruition or not, is a different debate.

I bought the XA2, their flagship player. But I don't think it's money wasted. It upscales nicely, and I can enjoy my HD DVDs from netflix - for now. Ironically, my five free HD DVD's came today. My free Bluray movies came about two months earlier. (bought both at the same time).

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers