Originally Posted By: Olderbutweiser
I'm also a newbie here. I have been researching a new HT setup for a couple of months and like what I have read and seen about Axiom. Unfortunately I have not been able to listen to them yet. I'm looking at the Epic Grand Master 500 with an ONKYO TXNR906. Any advice?

The speakers are fantastic. ;\) That doesn't help you much, I know. Check out the 'hearing things' forum and see if there's someone nearby that would do a demo. Most of us Axiom owners enjoy demoing our systems. You can email Axiom about it too - they keep a list of demo-ers and might be able to set you up with someone.

I recently tried an Onkyo SR876, which is the little brother to the N906. I was less than thrilled with its SQ when driving M80's. However, based on others positive experiences and numerous glowing reviews elsewhere (everywhere), I am in a very small minority of people that weren't absolutely thrilled with it.

The only real issue that I've discovered while researching Onkyo is heat. Onkyo's run hot. It's apparently completely normal and by design. There's even a sticker on the 876's chassis that warns of the heat. You just need to make sure that it has a reasonably well-ventilated place to live in your AV rack. If it's going in an enclosed cabinet, you will likely need a fan of some sort.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office