Originally Posted By: Olderbutweiser
I had heard that the Onkyos run hot. I have an audio stand that is open in the front and the back but adding more heat to my house when it gets 115 here in the summer is something to think about.

On that note, my Denon (AVR 3300) was recently moved from closed cabinet to open air AV shelf. I was able to remove the fan i had been using to keep it cool in the cabinet. That was fine during the winter, but this weekend the heat got to the Denon. It was strange, but a long day of mid-volume listening caused the volume to self-spike, and refuse to stay put! Thank God I was near the receive when it happened or I might be buying an entire HT system. I thought the remote going haywire, but after removing that from the equation and doing a hard reset on the Denon, I figured out it was the heat. Once cooled, all was fine.

I put the old fan back on and ran it for another 6 hours without a problem. The point you ask; even the mighty Denons can run too hot for their own good. Don't exclude the Onkyo on that basis alone.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire