Originally Posted By: Escaron

My primary concerns are 1) how the EP500 sub stacks up against the less expensive EP350 v3 (especially in a smaller room), 2) if the VP150 v2 will be able to keep up with the M80's upfront or if I should spring for something like a horizontally placed M22 as a center channel and finally, 3) what receiver (and possible amp combination) should I use to properly power this set up.

1) I have a 350 in a large room and find the sound great but miss some of the pressure and really deep movie bass that I've felt/heard from some of the various flagship subs (EP600/800, PB13 Ultra, etc). Mind you, it was wayyyy cheaper.

2) I don't think placing a vertically designed M22 horizontally would be much of an improvement on the VP150. I would advise using a vertical speaker (I use an M60) if layout permits, otherwise I'd just stick with the specially designed center channel.

3) I now use the 3808, but have not noticed any difference in sound from the Sherwood Newcastle I was using. Receivers can, generally speaking, be bought based on features vs price. The new Onkyos are unlikely to have any problems driving 4 ohm M80s, I think most of their problems were limited to models from two years ago. They do tend to run pretty hot, however. If you are moving to a larger room, or are, like me, open to the idea of future experimentation with outboard amplification, just make sure you get one with pre-outs. Also, some of the lower line Rx still don't do audio over HDMI. Confirm via the owners manual.

M80s/VP160/QS8s/EP350; M22s; M3s.