Quote:
How does the EP500 compare to subs from SVS, specifically something like the PC12-Plus or the PC13-Ultra

If you're really talking about the SVS CYLINDER subs, be aware that they are gigantic. Now, depending upon your furniture arrangement and aesthetic demands, that may not matter. But be ready for a big, black water-heater.

I have an older SVS box sub (PB12-ISD?). It is a good piece, but it is a fugly black box and is nothing at all like the PB13-Ultra and EP600 I heard at myrison's. Totally different league in terms of output and articulation. I believe that the DSP in the EP500/600/800 makes a big difference.

Quote:
I've never had any experience with separate amps and was wondering how safe would it be buying one used vs new and if it would even make a significant difference over just the Denon alone.

Well, there are about 37 noctillion interweb threads about whether people can hear differences in amplification. Depends on how loud, your ears, your room, the material, etc. Personally, I think buying used, quality amplifiers is pretty safe since they have no moving parts.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem