OK - here's an update. I ordered M2s as height channels and the VP180 as a center channel upgrade. Looking forward to comparing the VP180 to the VP150. I'll try and compare both before and after running Audyssey to see if I notice an improvement. I'll keep it if there is even the smallest improvement but send it back if I can't notice a difference.

Still mulling over adding the second subwoofer. I've kinda stretched the budget and I'm not sure I can absorb another $1200. My wife has been good with the upgrades so far and didn't balk at upgrading the center channel. But I've never mentioned adding another subwoofer so that might prove to be the tipping point smile

Nonetheless, I'm considering adding another EP500 or taking a bet on the CS-18.T from Chase Home Theater (aka CraigSUB - dual 18 inch sealed subs with a single shared external 1000W amplifier).

The EP500 would cost $1200 CDN. The CS-18.T will cost approximately 1800-1900 CDN. Pricewise, they'd be equals assuming I could sell my current EP500 for 600-700 CDN.

The advantage of the EP500 is that it would match my current system and provide the advantage of dual subs - frequency response smoothing and higher output (+6db). But it wouldn't give me any lower extension than the 19-20Hz I get currently. Plus I'd be buying from Axiom in Canada and have a full 5-yr warranty.

The advantage of the CS-18.T is (presumably) much lower extension (dependent on room - see below), higher output, frequency smoothing due to multiple subs, and different sound quality due to sealed enclosure. Disadvantages - new company, purchase from the US so any warranty issues may prove to be an issue.

The biggest unknown, obviously, is whether or not I would actually achieve the lower extension. It is a sealed sub that naturally rolls off at 12db/octave, starting in the mid 20 Hz range. It depends on room gain and is therefor subject to its interfaction within the room (which, I realize, also exists for the EP500) plus EQ.

My room is not sealed or dedicated to home theatre - it is a bonus room above garage that is open to the stairs from the main floor and the hallway/landing at the top of the stairs. The room is vaulted and is approx. 2500 - 3000 cubic feet. Plus, I'd like to locate one at the end of the couch so it would not be corner loaded - but it would be reinforced by the side wall. I could place the second sub in the corner but would prefer to locate next to my right tower, against the front wall in the middle.

Anyone have thoughts on the ported vs. sealed, room gain required to achieve good usable extension into the teens, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Bryan