Well, I suppose I don't expect to get any further extension from the EP500s due to the DSP amp limiting its output below ~18Hz. I've been led to believe that it is limited in the DSP to not allow extension below this point. I've measured with an SPL meter and get very usable output at 20Hz but none (at least measurable) at 16Hz with my current EP500 in my room.

I understand that I'm also getting room gain with my EP500. But given the DSP limitation I'm not expecting any more extension below 18 Hz after adding the second EP500.

Besides, don't ported design inherently drop rapidly below their tuning whereas sealed subs gently roll off? I've always assumed sealed subs have the potential to go lower by design than ported as they aren't limited by the port/box tuning and the frequency drop-off that occurs below it. Of course, the sealed subs require more power and do require EQ/room reinforcement.

As far as quality - yes, this is a perceived quality difference. I've nothing to base this on other than a curiousity to hear a sealed sub. However, I'm primarily using this for HT so I don't think ported vs sealed is a big deal. Plus there are many reviews/reports that have stated the EP series (500, 600) as sounding very 'musical' and competing well with sealed subs.

To be honest, I really don't know much about this topic. I have to rely on others' reviews since it is virtually impossible to line up a number of subs in my room to do an exhaustive comparison - as much as I'd like to do that! As such, I probably due succumb to the many reviews that exist for products like the Epiks, eD, Seaton, etc. vs. the relatively few reviews that exist for Axiom.

Having said that, I do love my EP500. But without having had the opportunity to listen to many other brands/models, I can't qualify or quantify my "love" and will probably always be thinking - what else is there? Am I missing anything?

Now I know why men can be so promiscuous! OK - not sure why I just added that last comment - I hope I haven't offended anyone smile

Thanks for the input!

At the end of the day, I'll probably just get another EP500 to match my current one (if I do purchase a second sub). Just to difficult to make a decision and the logistics from the US can be troubling.

P.S. Can't do tactile transducers - won't really work with my sectional (which includes a sofa bed). But I'll definitely consider these for my theater room in the basement when the time comes.

Last edited by icehawk21; 11/08/10 09:40 PM. Reason: Added comment re: tactile transducers