Originally Posted By: RickF
Cam have you considered boxing in the area immediately under the low-slung ceiling out to the post? That to me looks as if it may be prime real estate to build a component cabinet, especially if you have back access. I used 3/4" MDF for shelves with heavy duty slide rails but with the rear access I don't see the need for the slider rails in your case. Most all components are 17" wide, looks like you have plenty of room width-wise.

I'm thinking 300-400 bucks will probably fall well within budget.

Rick, thanks for the reply. I've seen pictures of your room before, and really do like that cabinet. Building a cabinet like yours looks like it's the way to go, as racks from Middle Atlantic etc. seem to be quite expensive.

Installing the cabinet below the bulkhead, as you suggested, would work out really well, but I plan on building a bar along that back wall (basically extending from that post to the other side of the room, then curving to meet the wall. The bar would be in an L shape, if that helps.), so the cabinet would be behind it and I wouldn't be able to access it, which is why I want the cabinet right beside the door.

How did you frame the cabinet behind the wall to carry the load? I've read on other forums that a header might be required, but have seen pictures where people have framed DIY cabinets in 2X4. Also, how would the side rails be mounted? I presume that the back of the cabinet would have to have sides to it, thus screwing the side rails to it? Actually, now that I think of it, the cabinet would need a back on it so you can't see straight through into the laundry room.

What did you do for ventilation? I'm thinking that ventilation slots could be cut out of the sides at the back of the cabinet (assuming sides are necessary to hold the side rails), then I could just use a thin black material on the back, thus blocking the view into the laundry room from the front of the cabinet, but allowing for more air flow than a wooden door would.

Any thoughts? I'm not a cabinetmaker or handyperson by any means, so excuse my uneducated questions about framing the back of the cabinet smile.

Thanks again.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.