Originally Posted By: cb919
If you're mounting vertically get the M80, if you're going horizontal, get the VP-180 - they are designed for those orientations respectively. They are after all more or less the same speaker with altered driver arrangements and crossovers to suit the intended orientation.

Good luck on the upcoming bar exam!

Thanks for the good luck wish on the bar exam, I will happily accept it.

After looking at more comb filtering effect research, I am still leaning toward the upside down T-shape idea with the horizontal VP-180 just below the TV, angled slightly up toward the ear level at the seated position and the vertical M80 above the TV, angled down toward the ear level at the seated viewing position.

As far as options go, it seems to me that you could have, as you mentioned, one VP-180 horizontally above and below the screen. You could rock two vertical M80s either side of the TV or have one vertical M80 above and one below.

The two alignments that seem most efficient are 1)the VP-180s above and below and 2)the VP-180 below and the M80 above. And since other posters have suggested that the off-axis issue is most effectively addressed with the vertical speaker, that seems to be the best solution (if I can successfully concoct an effective wall mount for the angled M80 above the screen).
I may have to tap my best friend of many years who does custom cabinets and entertainment centers for help on that project.