Originally Posted By: jakewash
I guess if you get that warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that your speakers are playing sounds only dogs can hear then by all means by them. You should be happy your purchase, with no sense of regret.

But first I would suggest playing some test tones through what ever speakers you have and while holding a SPL meter see where the point is that you no longer hear anything vs. the point at which the test tones or speakers cease to play. I can still hear to about 18khz with this non scientific method and I do not feel I am missing anything, especially considering much of the equipment used for playback isn't spec'd for anything higher than 20khz either.

^Great suggestion! I was able to borrow a digital SPL meter from a cousin who used to do home theater installation and I went and tested some of the speakers that went above 20kHz. Four things became apparent to me. First, most receivers do not even offer reproduction ranging above 20kHz. Second, using high-end receivers that did, material in that range is very limited. Third, using a specific test SACD that features recordings (on loan from my cousin again-the SACD had chapters marked for the various ranges) in those higher ranges, nearly all of the speakers capped out at by 22kHz on the SPL meter, regardless of whether the speaker listed 30kHz at its top end (the source SACD had segments up to 50kHz). Finally, I could not hear anything above 19.2kHz, so my limited perception renders everything above that moot regardless.

So, I feel immensely better about this and have verified what you have said, it is not a valuable spec. in the equation. Thanks for your thoughts, you were completely right.