Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
A receiver might be enough.

If you really want to get external amplification, I'd get at least 200wpc, and from a trusted manufacturer like Outlaw, Rotel, etc. Solid State amps don't have moving parts in most cases and the technology has been mature for a while, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good quality used piece.

I was originally thinking that a receiver might be enough, but I tested one of Onyko's newer receiver, which was listed at 145 watts per channel. In actually testing the lines, with all nine channels running, output was 90-115 watts, so it was not as advertised. I tested a Sony ES listed at 125 watts and found it dropped all the way into the 50s, with all channels running. So, it seems like dedicated, concentrated power, via amps and maybe a pre/pro sounds like a better bet for sexy sound. Since the Axioms handle up to 400 watts, I am just trying to get an idea on what wattage I should set my sights on? (And I am also open to user's suggestions for amps too--so far I like Outlaw and Emotiva the best for bang for the buck and reviews).

Thanks for your thoughts.