Originally Posted By: JohnK
Yes, the unit was "as advertised". The FTC amplifier power regs require the rating to be per channel with at least two channels driven simultaneously for a continuous period of at least 5 minutes at the full rated power. An "all channels driven" rating is unrealistic in real world home listening outside the testing lab. Rarely would even two channels be driven at full power simultaneously; multiple channels essentially never are in that condition, as testers such as those in Sound&Vision point out. The FTC explicitly rejected last year a proposal to require an all channel driven rating and affirmed the two channel requirement.

The maximum power ratings on speakers relate to the power(generally conservative)which could be handled without permanent damage to the speaker. They have nothing to do with the power actually required. As stated previously, ratings anywhere in the 100 watt area should do the job. Unused headroom is simply that: unused.

See, this is why you guys are best. ^I've never heard this anywhere else.

I tested some more speakers and I got to hear a set-up with some B & W speakers. They ran an Integra A/V Receiver (rated at 140 Watts/Channel @ 8 ohm) and then they ran the same clips through the Integra using the pre-outs into a Parasound amp (250 watts rms per channel into 8 ohm, all channels driven). Leaving the volume the exact same, I was blown away by how much better it sounded, especially at lower listening levels. I expected the gains to be mainly during louder sections, but I actually noticed the biggest difference in the quieter sections, especially with on and off-screen dialogue. It was more crisp and clear, especially female voices and higher pitched sounds/tones.

In providing more power to your speakers, have others found the same to be true?