Gents - One of the tests I wanted to do this fall/winter is one of affordable subwoofers with a fairly small footprint.

Pricing is to be under $1000 USD delivered.

Size is to be under 2.5 square feet of floor space, as larger than this, and the subwoofer starts to "stand out" in most decors.

All the rage lately is massive subwoofer systems, and while this makes for great bragging rights in the forum world, I think all this "126 dB at 20 Hz from eight 18 inch sealed subwoofers and 12,000 watts of power for only $12,000 plus the labor to build it" has left a big void.

SO ... I put together a list of 5 subwoofers to try and test. Here are the subs, and the results in getting them so far:

1. SVS PC-2000 @ $800 delivered. A 12 inch ported subwoofer which takes up 1.6 square feet.

I contacted Ed Mullen, and the subwoofer is ordered. He is quite confident about its performance, and was as much a professional as one could ask.

2. Powersound Audio S-1500 @ $1000 delivered. A 15 inch sealed wubwoofer which takes up 2.125 square of floor space.

I ordered the subwoofer, and the order was cancelled by Powersound. When I asked why it was cancelled, I was told that they were not interested in being involved in my review process.

3. Hsu Research ULS-15 Mark II @ $848 delivered. A 15 inch, sealed subwoofer which takes up 2.25 square feet.

I emailed Hsu about purchasing a sub for review twice, and received no response.

4. Reaction Audio Gamma 15 @ $900 delivered. A 15 inch sealed subwoofer which takes up 2.5 square feet of floor space.

I have talked to the owner, and he has expressed an interest. I am waiting a reply on three emails that we are now ordering review samples.

5. Axiom EP350 @ $840 delivered. A 12 inch ported subwoofer which takes up 1.75 square feet.

I talked to Debbie today, and it's ordered.

The review process will be along the line of what normal people do with a subwoofer. Each will be placed in the same location in a pretty large room.

Each will have XT-32 from Audyssey applied, with response curves taken from several listening positions, and listening tests done.

The response curves from each will be posted.