There is some hope in the forum world - some guys on AVS are actually talking about long term output over CEA-2010 burst tests.

There is still no one discussing how these high output ported subs will chuff long before the driver bottoms out.

I was working with RE Audio in looking at one of their OEM 18's that had about 30 MM of X-max (one way).

The engineers at RE suggested tuning to about 28 Hz with a port area of about 80 square inches to avoid tuning. When we talked about getting full output at 16 Hz, they flat out told me to go with dual sealed subs and avoid the noise, or else build a 30 cubic foot cabinet with about 140 square inches of port area.

In our own line up, even though the big vented "VS-18.1" was 6 dB less powerful in the CEA-2010 burst (at 20 Hz) than the dual driver 18 inch sealed SS-18.2, in long term output at 20 Hz they were equal, with the dual driver extending nicely to 10 Hz and the overall output and slam dusting the vented.

Even the single driver SS-18.1 was close in a real room.

What does this have to do with the tests here? During my hiatus as a hobbyist, while trying to get partners and vendors to actually work (they didn't), Axiom took all the top end designs, reworked the woofer into a more powerful unit, and made them sealed.

The other thing, based on listening tests here, that the guys (and Debbie) did was to do a lot of blind listening tests to help with the DSP-AMP-Driver-Enclosure interface.

Over the weekend, I flipped back and forth between the SS-18.2, the EP800 and the PC2000 on "The Walking Dead" on HD. There was this ever present bass line - a pulsing - that was distinct and in your chest. It was not loud, it was an under current.

The PC2000 made a "lump" sound. The SS-18.2 made a "thump" sound. The EP-800 made a "Hit" sound. It was subtly felt, and added to the menacing scene.

This is the hardest part of reviewing these types of products: I can't post a chart that shows how this "hit" was far better sounding than a "lump" or "thump". Everyone here noticed the difference.

This pattern has repeated itself over and over. On Steely Dan's 2 Against Nature, The kick drum is so deep and tight, the EP800 makes it into a different performance than even the SS-18.2.

The EP500/600/800 will never "win" a "most SPL for the $$$". It will win for those who are willing to spend the extra $$$ to get the best sounding bass.

The subwoofer that I would love to directly do an A/B with the EP800 would be either a JL Audio Fathom 212 or a Velodyne DD-18 plus. Another consideration would be a JTR Captivator S1. Yet another would be a pair of the SB13 Ultras.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by craigsub; 10/26/15 12:25 PM.