Originally Posted By cb919
OK, I'm confused. confused
I was just looking on the Anthem website. Can someone explain why the AVM 60 (pre-amp/processor only) lists at $3299 while the MRX-720 (pre-amp/processor + 7 channels of amplification) lists at $2599 when they seem to have the exact same processing features?
The only appreciable difference I see is the pre-amp balanced XLR outputs on the AVM 60 vs RCA only pre-amp outputs on the MRX. Why would I pay more for less? Are XLR outputs worth so much more than amplification?
I must be missing something.

AVM 60

MRX-720

I think it's mostly making a highly specialized piece of electronics for a very limited audience and then pricing for what the market will bear. The market for pre-amp processors is smaller, and mostly composed of very high end individuals willing to sink upwards of $20,000 into their setup. They're willing to spend $3500 for what they perceive to be a high end pre-amp and they're willing to pay to play.

The market for receivers is larger and more fragmented with more competition, so prices are lower, especially at the mid end.

You can pick up a mid-end receiver for 7.2 surround sound for $400 to $500. Soon as you go to ATMOS it doubles, and then doubles again to add the 4 overhead speakers.

It's not much different when buying higher end computers. That computer that cost $3000 two years ago is $600 now. The top end of the electronics market is willing to spend a lot more to get the latest computers and phones.

It just depends where on that price vs. time curve you want to play. Typically with computers and phones I buy into the second generation. I'm jumping the gun a bit on 11.2 systems, they're still first generation, but I'm having a weak moment. I'm not having a weak enough moment to contemplate going for pre-amp processor and amps though.