Thanks to all for the replies and info.
The living room is 2500 cf and is open to the dining room, kitchen, and a foyer which adds another 2500 cf.
I will be sitting reasonably far from the speakers, about 14 ft (and they'll be separated by 8 ft).
I listen to classic rock, blues, jazz, and classical.

The looks of the Yamaha are fine for me as I came of "audio age" in the 70s and it has that kind of throw-back look. I confess I've also been eying up an Anthem MRX 520, but I don't need 5 channels and they're discontinued. And I'm not crazy about their new model.
The only features I need are a network connection (I play from a NAS) and the ability to play flac files (and enough power to do the M80's justice); so a pretty low bar there, I think.

The Bryston site just ticks me off, like they want to show me just little glimpses of their product - I'm a show me the specs and the front and back kind of guy. The Hegel looks interesting, but at 3K is a bit pricey. Worse, it doesn't seem to be rated for 4 ohms. FWIW, I won't buy used electronics. Used speakers are okay; but not in this case.

Oh, and I'm almost sure I'm going with HPs, just because. (I don't really think I need much low end for music, but I like the idea of the curve being smoother.)

Last edited by Cork; 12/30/20 07:10 PM. Reason: Forgot something.