In reply to:

Thats weird my Rotel RSX1065 does the video switching. So does my dads new NAD T752.

I'm starting to see it in a lot of new hardware, but it's still a relatively new feature in the lower priced markets. Thankfully, this is changing.

In reply to:

I thought it was common that you can plug in all your devices to your receiver and have it control which input.

You can, but most won't output anything other than component video out of the component out. Most will upsample composite video to S-Video and the S-Video out can output everything, but upconverting composite and S-Video to component so that it can all be carried through the component out is sadly not very common.

In reply to:

I myself have a video scaler. Actually it is a computer component but you do not need a computer. Its a stand alone TV box. Viewsonic has this video processor scaler/ TV tuner. I pipe my signals into it such as VHS, DVD and it rescales from 640x480 up to 1024x768 and pipes it out via RGB computer cable. The picture going into a projector or monitor is great. Even standard TV cable looks nice at 1024x768. This is the cheaper video scaler at $150 CDN. There is a better one that goes up to 1280 and has component inputs. I think this scaler does a good job as real video scalers from $800-$4000 from DVDO Line doubler and Farouja. This video processor is only good for projectors or computer input monitors Plasmas, LCD. I found about this neat device 2 years ago and since then have been passing my cable TV signal through it.

Got a link?