Hate to spin off many new threads, so I continue here with a new question for y'all...

Okay, so the QS8 (QS4) has this interesting dipole/bipole configuration, with the two tweeters firing sideways out of phase from each other and the woofers in-phase to each other firing up and down, right? This obviously makes the QS8 functionally asymmetrical, i.e., when you face a QS8, the tweeter either on the right side or the left side can be in-phase to the woofers.

So, my burning questions are:

(1) When we order the QS8 as a pair, is each unit within the pair wired mirror-image to the other? Or are they always wired identically? I know that, for example, Boston Acoustics' dipolar surrounds are wired mirror-image to each other when you order them as a pair. Does Axiom do the same?

(2) If my pair is indeed wired mirror-image to each other, how can I tell which is which? And in this case, if they are to be side-wall mounted in a symmetrical fashion, which tweeters -- i.e., the rear-firing ones or the front-firing ones -- should usually be out-of-phase from the rest of the system? (similarly, if they are to be back-wall mounted, should the outward or inward firing tweeters be out-of-phase from the rest?)

(3) If all QS8's are wired identically at the Axiom factory, then the system will not be truly symmetrical even if all speakers are placed symmetrically. Is it worth the trouble of flipping the tweeter phases on one of my QS8's in order to get them functionally mirror-image to each other? Has anybody here ever cared about this?

I know I will have to experiment eventually, but I would like to have some comments from you guys first...!

Incidentally, after some initial experiments, my current plan is to mount the QS8's on the back wall, at about 7' high (the ceiling is 10' high) and approximately 15' from each other, so that they are quite sideways rather than rearways from the listening position.

Thanks!

PS: oh, btw, my pair of the QS8 surely have the same serial number.

Last edited by sushi; 04/05/03 08:20 PM.