In reply to:

I believe that I have read a published professional review that states (mistakingly) that the QS8 is a hybrid dipole/bipole...

Found the culprit (or at least one of them)!!! LOL

From Home Theater & Sound equipment review:

Since the Axiom Epic 80 system is of comparable size to my Paradigm system, my starting point for set up was easy, since I just replaced my existing speakers with the Axioms. I tweaked the toe-in of the M80Tis slightly, and moved them forward into the room to alleviate some boominess. A little care should be used when setting up the M80Tis or the midrange may sound a little forward. I stand-mounted the QS8 surround speakers, minimizing the amount the downward-firing woofer was impeded by the stand. For a permanent QS8 installation, I would recommend wall mounting or purchasing from Axiom the stands that will allow the bottom-firing woofer to breathe. The null point between the two tweeters fired directly at my listening seat. The VP150 sat in the usual location above my 32" TV. I raised the rear of the speaker slightly so that it would fire more directly at my listening seat.

This reviewer obviously misunderstood that the QS8's tweeters were in a dipole configuration... [sigh]