The format war is has turned into a very nasty, mud slinging campaigne of bull. One of the main news sites on the web has even turned to state the same and push their personal views. I personally don't understand it. Both formats have their good and bad points - but HD at least has price on its side. Blu might have the more studios, but then where are all the releases from these studios?! HD seems to have a much broader and deep selection of films available. But I think what bothers me most is all the bull both camps were pushing upon the inception of these formats. They both bragged about gigabites space and how that will translate into more bonus materials for the consumer. Well working as a consultant for dvd releases I can tell you it does not matter how much room in on a disc the studios will NEVER use it. It costs too much to find, and finalize what they really have in their vaults. Hell, stuff is even offered to them for free and they've turned it down. Through the years I've seen the home video turn from persons who were transfered over to these new departments from the theatrical divisions who still had the benefit of knowing the theatrical end - to simpily out of college fools who know nothing of what each studio has to offer. These types don't care about what the consumer wants, because most don't even know. They jump from company to company so little is really discovered in terms of what can be done for a given product. MGM home video although through the years has been bought and released by different studios still has their own personel who produce what comes out on DVD - which is why the BOND sets are so good. When it comes to the other studios it really a crap shoot when a release - especially a catalog title is released well done.
Take what you read about both formats with a very large grain of salt. If you haven't bought into either, then wait. If you have, just enjoy the plus each format has to offer. One format is bound to win out - in the end it's the consumer who will lose. Even though I'm a big SONY fan in terms of their quality they are also a company who has a past history of coming up with a new thing then dropping it. I hope that's not the case, I would like to see more machines produced that can play BOTH formats - like the LG. HD has lower prices, and different machines however the consumer should be aware that each level of these players offer less feature (lower price). Now the big ticket is for the new HDMI with better color and of course the newer version of Dolby. In the end, just consider EVERYTHING before making the purchase.