Quote:

Has anyone here had a chance to compare HD against a good upconverting DVD player on a 720p display ?

For someone with an 1080p display going to HD now seems like a no-brainer -- we're past the initial teething problems and HD DVD prices are coming in line with regular DVDs.

Yes…. I had the HD-X1 back when I was still using a Panasonic 900 (720P display).

Actually, the difference in resolution between 720P and 1080P is not nearly as noticeable an improvement as going from SD to HD. Sorry, I’m sure you didn’t want to hear that. HD on 720 looks fantastic.

Resistance is futile guys. To those who just can’t swing it financially, or don’t want to for their own personal reasoning, my very best, and sincere advise to you is to simply not watch it. Don’t be baited, don’t act like the cat and gaze at the store displays…. Just don’t do it. It’ll do what it was intended to do, cost you money and make others money.

I just spent a few hours messing with my display calibration using my "just got it in mail today disk", DVE HD. Holy crap, I can see the stinking lines now to make adjustments and be able to see what I’m actually changing. Great disk, much better than avia.