replying to no one in particular...

To say that unconverted SD dvd is almost as good as HD is nothing more than wishful thinking. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I’m getting real tired of hearing that nonsense spoken just to validate someone’s stubbornness or whatever other reason they might have for “waiting for the war to be over”. As Michael said, “life’s too short”. Just get over it people, eat your pride and buy the dam machines. - Or don’t…. Just stop trying to convince the world that the differences are subtle……because they are not. The differences are SIGNIFICANT to point that a child can tell.

It’s not easy for me to look at my collection of 800+ dvds and know that they all SUCK in comparison to their HD/BR siblings. I have spent some serious money trying to get everything out of them that I can. I’m using a $3000 video processor with an optional $500 SDI module in it, and I’ve got $800 into an SDI modified Oppo 981. As much as I’d love to believe that my SD/DVD’s running through all that expensive hardware is “almost as good” as HD or BR, it doesn’t come close. Even the reference level DVD’s don’t hold a candle to a poorly transferred HD or BR dvd. Sorry, it ain’t happening.

To make the SD dvd’s even worse, when I watch one in a 2.35 ratio and expand that image to fill my scope screen, UGGG>>>> Not with BR or HD. Expending their image to fill the screen has NO effect on image quality.

Whatever reason a person may have for not investing in the new formats is theirs and I respect their decision. Just be honest about it and stop trying to convince the others who are sitting on the fence that the difference is anything other than what it truly is – SIGNIFICANT.