Quote:

Quote:

Neither format is appealing. I want my movies the same way I get my music-over the internet through a subscription service. All HDDVD and blu ray do is bridge the gap between DVD and high speed fibre internet.

Yes, but it takes to stinking long to download HD content. I know that there are streaming subscription services, etc, but I don't think that the general internet infrastructure is ready for that yet...

It would be nice though to jump online, pick out a rental, click "HD" or "DVD" and start streaming it down fast enough to start the movie, with enough "buffer room" to prevent any pauses during playback, after a minute or so. I know some people claim to have done it, but the download content isn't there yet, so there aren't a lot of users doing it.

The data streams from the servers would be pretty big to do this as well...

Someday it will happen though.

Yeah we need that fibre laid so we can get to the point where this works. Until then HDDVD and Blu Ray will appeal to niche audiences-they will never get mass appeal because they don't add a new layer of convenience over DVD the same way that DVD did over VHS and MP3 players did over CD.