I've already bought into both formats because standard definition just isn't cutting it for me anymore, but taking my obsessiveness out of the equation, I don't think either format deserves to "win."

I think HD DVD is the lesser of two evils, but really, both launches were pathetic, and they haven't done a whole lot to try to really secure a position in the marketplace. Blu-ray is an attempt to strongarm, and HD DVD has had too many playback issues for my liking. You shouldn't have to keep looking forward to the next firmware update in order to play your new purchases.

Blu-ray is an insult to consumers with its two forms of DRM, but Hollywood is buying into that. That's the reason it's getting the big studio support, not because the higher storage capacity means they can offer consumers more value. I admire the people who can wait, but on the other hand, if format war doesn't have a real winner for too long, the crowned "winner" won't really have much time in the throne, and its success will be nothing like DVD's.

The fact that they had to let the marketplace decide between two really very similar technologies is disgraceful. Enjoying movies shouldn't be such a chore.