Quote:

Murph,

The 50GB file (or any file) also has protocol overhead associated with it for error checking, acks/nacks, etc, right? What's this overhead? About 20%? If so, the times need to be boosted by the overhead amount.

By the way, that link points me to a search site.

Re: Link
Hmm odd. Must be a scripting thing, I copied it from a bookmark that works fine for me but when I click on it via this page, I also get the search page. Sorry bout that. Foiled by an evil search page link!!! If you search Google for "Download Speec Calculators" you should get several to choose from. Some even let you plug in overhead.

RE: Overhead
I didn't get into overhead because I said it was a 'perfect world' scenario, which of course, can never exist. Also, overhead is very dependent on who you bought your HSI from and what technologies they use so I didn't want people making assumptions about their own service vs. what I said.

However, to try and answer your question.

TCP/IP is pretty efficient at only about 3%, if memory serves. However, when you reach the transport level, you are probably talking ATM or some other transport type. ATM requires roughly another 10%. There is 13% right there.

If your service provider is using PPPoE, and lots do, then overhead totals can get as high as 25%

Of course, this only accounts for the connection between your house and your provider. Once you leave your provider's network, all bets are off as to how long a download will take, for many many reasons.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.