I agree that watching movies should not be such a chore. That's why I am sticking to plain old DVD! You get ALL the movies that are available. And they're cheaper to boot!

Granted, I "only" have a 720p DLP but with an upconverting player like the Oppo 971 the picture quality is very close to HD as it looks from cable. Yes, the HD from cable is better but only on certain channels that are 1080i. Many of the other channels are still ???? (I'm not sure of the resolution) and they are over compressed.

So at least from the standpoint of the equipment I currently own, which cost too much money to just discard it, I cannot justify ever switching to either format due primarily to cost and secondly to the fact that it just isn't that much better...IMO.

Besides, regular DVD's are not going away any time soon. And if they do someday go the way of the Dodo, then I will be forced to change. And I'm sure that by the time that happens there will be a whole new "format" or way of obtaining movies that will make HD-DVD and BluRay obsolete.

"Tis better to desire that which you do not have, than to have that which you do not desire!"