Quote:

I've had that HD DVD of DVE in my shopping cart a few times, but I never went through with buying it. After you play with it some more, I wouldn't mind hearing more thoughts on it.

CV,

I’ve used Avia for a few years now, but no other test disk. This DVE disk has more test patterns for video and I think a much better audio set up. It also has 6.1 verses Avia’s 5.1

When I first put the disk in, I put in the HD version and was quickly horrified because this side of the disk is just HD test patterns, audio set up and demonstration clips. It has no instructions on how to use the test patterns or the disk in general. While I know Avia, I’m no certified calibration guru, so most of the stuff on the disk was unless to me…. Hence the horror.

On a whim I flipped the disk over to the SD side and was pleased to find it had the tutorial on it. It has very basic information for beginners, but goes into more depth than Avia, and also has chapters for advanced users. It also has information for projector owners with different test patterns that work with LCD / DLP projectors, plus all the traditional display type including CRT.

One thing I’m not sure about is the LFE test tone. It’s about 10 db higher than the tones in my receiver. I’m not sure if it’s the disk, my meter, or the player. No matter, I just figured it was the disk and calibrated LFE ten db too high with the disk and it sounds great.

I’d move it from your list to your cart and get it coming. I had it in my list for a couple months and just recently bought it after realizing the new Avia disk may not ever be released at the rate they keep postponing it.