>>I know nothing about guns.......................

Imagine an SVS cylinder sub but smaller. They cost about the same, you put something in one end and loud percussive noises come out the other end. You don't want to stand too close to either of them, and you particularly don't want to be standing in front of the opening on either one. Guns do more damage to the object in front of the port, but subwoofers do more damage to off-axis objects.

The analogy breaks down when you have a matched pair. Using two guns simultaneously is an affectation, using two subs simultaneously is really cool.

>>That position - that Axiom owners HTs are inferior, ghetto HTs in need of "make over" - is galling to say the least.

Lomb7/bigwill, I think you are both over-reacting. There is a difference between the very valid point that AV123 could get some business benefit from the makeover and the very debatable opinion that the primary reason for the whole exercise was cheap publicity.

MLS strikes me as someone who is able to mix "doing good" with good business sense. I don't see a problem with that and I don't think anyone else does either. Axiom does similar good deeds but you don't hear as much about them -- my theory is that most of Northern Ontario does not yet have access to the Internet

I think a lot of us feel like saying "hey, look, if you think this was ONE HUNDRED PERCENT altruistic then maybe you're missing something -- but it probably was seventy or eighty percent "good deed" and the rest "good business".

The problem with trying to reverse engineer the intent was that there are so many good reasons for choosing Jack as the recipient of the makeover and THERE IS NO WAY WE'RE EVER GOING TO KNOW which reasons dominated.

1. If I made speakers I was proud of I would want someone like Jack to own them -- someone who already knows what good speakers sound like, and could really enjoy and appreciate them.

2. If I was going from a pure "cold, calculating, how will I get the most promotional bang for my buck" perspective Jack would also be a good choice -- he's known to be impartial, active in the internet community, and if he likes the speakers people will know he's not just being a shill.

3. If circumstances were a factor, again Jack would be an ideal choice. He does need to spend a lot of time at home; who better to enjoy a fine audio system ? Far better than this "subwoofers for single mothers" thing I hear from time to time...

4. If I wanted to make a good natured dig at the competition, displacing an Axiom system would be a great way to do it. I find this hilarious personally; if I were in MLS's shoes I would probably do the same. Don't think it's something worth getting upset about and I'm sure Ian is chuckling about it himself.

Anyways, if you find option 2 offensive then think about options 1, 3, and 4. The truth is that all of them probably factored into the decision -- believing option 2 was not even a consideration might be a bit naive but believing option 2 was the only consideration is probably far too cynical.

Geez, I'm glad it's Mark and I with the guns.

Last edited by bridgman; 03/25/05 07:28 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8