ok, guns.

i have a Ruger P97DC, .45 caliber. its a good, reliable, high caliber handgun to start with. nothing fancy, just a solid performing slide action. it can be considered 'clunky' to people used to smaller, lighter hand guns. but, it fits my hand perfect, and the slide is very smooth with quick retraction/ejection/load action. i really like theis weapon, and would recommend it to anyone looking to move up to a large caliber slide action. i would NOT recommend this to first time shooters, or small body mass shooters. this gun kicks, and will cause muscle fatigue after a long day of firing.

my other handgun, is almost exactly like yours mark. well, i say 'mine', but its actually my wifes. she has a .38 smith/wesson airweight snub nose. standard black chassis, but we have had a custom grip. she likes to feel her fingers in the grooves of the grip, makes it more secure in her hand. this gun is super light, very small and easily concealable. this gun has a very fierce jolt when firing. and i say jolt, instead of kick, cause there is a difference. the Ruger has KICK, in other words, it rocks your hand, your arm, shoulder, and pretty much your whole body. the .38 has a quick jolt. being that the gun is so light, the brunt of the recoil is taken in your wrist, and it will give it a good snap. not enough to be painful or extreme, but enough to let you know you are firing something with some power. my wife loves the feel of this gun. and, ironically enough, it is damn near louder than my 45. reason is, the lightweight chassis, incorporated with cylinder firing mechanism, doesnt leave anything to help with absorbtion or deflection of sound. so, it lets off a good, high pitched snap when it fires. i like this feature, cause if my wife ever has to fire this gun in self defense, the sound alone will make the bad guy turn and run. it has a 5 shot cylinder which we load with 2 rat shots, then 3 mushrooms.

for hunting, i have 4 other guns. for small game and varmits, i have a Kimber 22-250. for deer, i have a remington .308. and for birds, i have a 12 gauge browning, and the classic remington model 1100, 20 gauge.

i really think that to get the feel for rifles and shotguns, you just need to go shoot different ones, and see what you like. try different brands and different calibers, and find the one that you are comfortable with. i truly believe that most arms made by reliable companies, are all quality products. it just simply comes down to a matter of preference. so, for someone that might be interested, just remember that price does not necessarily equte to performance.

man, i was just about to post this, and went back to read it for errors, and i realized that i come off sounding like some gun crazed maniac. i assure you, i am not. i like to hunt, and i never even had my first handgun up til about 6 years ago.

EDIT- well said bridge and bray. i think it could have been part good deed, and part business, but its ALL good for jack. he didnt ask for this.. it is just one of those uniquely special events that dont happen to very many people in their lifetime. the last thing i, or anyone should try and do, is spoil that for jack.

bigwill- you and i agree/disagree on stuff all the time, but i think you kinda gotta rotten auora about this. isnt it easier just to say that something nice happened to a friend of ours, and leave it at that? i dont get why this seems to be a battle worth fighting for you?

bigjohn

Last edited by bigjohn; 03/25/05 07:56 PM.

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??