I too have stayed away from this thread.....but here are some ramblings:

a) Jack is a very nice guy, based on his posts and PM's we have exchanged. I think it wonderful that he received first the nomination, and then the prize!

b) Ray and Craig are also very fine gentlemen, based on the accounts in this thread.

c) It should not be taken for granted that everyone visits all forums - simply does not happen. I for one do not have the time to crusie the 'net on forums. If you do, wonderful, but understand Craig that others do not.

d) As hard as I try, I also fall into the mindset of "makeover" being an upgrade. I have seen this at the local lumber store -submit a picture of your kitchen/bathroom, get a free makeover!!! The criteria is usually a room VERY lacking. In this case, the system being "madeover" was a good system. I blame Home Depot!!! LOL

e) If you think there is no marketing angle, great. I can't view it as such. Look at the discussion it spawned about the company, keeping the name SQUARELY in all of the people reading/posting/lurking on this and other boards. As it was an Axiom system that was replaced, the image factor must also be accounted for.

f) Sales promotion - maybe we will never know, but Ray knows if he decided to look elsewhere based on Jack's experience. Maybe Ray was enticed, maybe not - it does not matter. But would he have simply picked up smaller Axioms for his new palace? Only he can say for sure....

My take is that this may have been a kind act to a good man. He opened himself up, and would think he expected to be challenged. How many of us own products other than Axiom? I for one own openly claim to have speakers that I believe far outperform my Axioms. But we tend to get bent out of shape when someone challenges our beloved Axioms.

Kudos for being brave Jack