Good points Mark.

Hmm, I don't think there is a clear cut right or wrong to this. Yes, maybe we do offer up advice to new customers to return or upgrade for free a little too nonchalantly. The "risk-free" in home trial is an integral part of Axiom's business. With it, and the free upgrade clause, Axiom builds a level of trust with the potential customer. I think this is the most important thing Axiom does. Buying new speakers is a harrowing ordeal. Buying speakers over the internet, often without an audition, is even more so. Without such a return policy, the potential customer may look elsewhere.

Of course, there are those who exploit such return policies and threaten to ruin things for the rest of us. Unfortunately, little can be done with these people. Wasn't there a thread here (maybe over at Audioholics) about Best Buy cracking down on exploitive returners? These people would buy something, return it, wait for Best Buy to reshelf the item at a marked down price, then purchase the item again. It frustrates me to read about this. Some take the stance that Best Buy is a big enough company and can afford the hits, or that people are within their rights to repurchase items. What happened to plain old honesty? Some people have no scruples and take advantage of situations simply because the opportunity presents itself.

I guess because I work in retail this kind of stuff bothers me. I see it everyday. Axiom's customer service is top-notch. Sure there are those who will take advantage of it, but in the long run Axiom will continue to build "relationships" with potential customers simply on the strength of their commitment to their product.

This forum is a huge part of Axioms continued success. Not only do we offer healthy discussions of all things audio, there is a certain sense of community a lot of people would like to buy into. Not only that, but it is an awesome way to set up in-home auditions for potential buyers.

But back to the original question posed by Mark. Yes, I think we do throw out the "try it and send it back if you don't like it" line a bit too nonchalantly. But I think it is spurred by the fact that Axiom has such great faith in their speakers, that we simply are trying to encourage such faith and satisfaction to new buyers. Every time I pass over such a comment, I feel Axiom is extending a small bit of trust to a customer, who in turn can offer the same amount of trust. Yes, there are those who will abuse this system, but I like to believe there are far more honest people out there who can tip the scales in favor of the good.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose