Nothing against having a drywall ceiling, but I'm going the acoustical route in my home.

It will be comprised of 2' by 2' tiles with the highest noise reduction coeficient I could find.

I am using a "CeilingMax" grid, a locally produced product instead of actually suspending the ceiling. This provides the benefit of an acoustical ceiling, but at the cost of only 1.5 inches of headroom.

I was indifferent to drywall vs. acoustical ceiling tile and decided on the latter for additional sound absorption, and so I could get to cables (Satellite, Speaker and LAN). I'm also insulating the heck out of the ceiling cavity (with 6" R-19). I'd have gone all out with the added expense of resiliant channel and soundboard, but after the purchase of my (as yet unconnected) Axioms, I'd have a hard time of getting additional funding approved from my home's equivelent to the UN.

I'm an Info-tech contractor geek and like to have access to cable runs. Who knows, some day I may be running fiber through the house!

"Someone tries to kill you - you kill 'em right back!" Capt. Mal Reynolds