First, let me say that I loathe political correctness, and, in general, am opposed to censorship. On the other hand, I greatly favor tact, and consideration for others. Because I have the "right" to say something doesn't necessarily mean that saying it is the "right" thing to do.

The difference between censorship and tact is that tact is voluntary. It is the generous gift of taking other peoples feelings, beliefs, and opinions into consideration before stating one's own. It is a gift I enjoy giving. That's not to say that I haven't stepped on some toes at one time or another. I'm sure I've failed at times. But, at least I am secure in the belief that such was NOT my intent.

I feel that, all too often, things go to downhill because someone is too lazy, to self indulgent, to inconsiderate to think of others before stating just exactly what is on their mind. For example, I have taken exception to some posts which have included references to bodily functions. Since this is a public forum with unknown numbers of women and children, and not a locker room, I feel this is not the place for that.

If that makes me appear to be a namby pamby in anyone's eyes, so be it. I can assure you it's not the words that bother me. At my age, most of you would have to use each of those words 100 times a day to catch up to the number of times I've used them. What bothers me is the self indulgent lack of consideration for others. That has, and will, always bother me, and I suspect I will always respond negatively to it. I am a firm believer in the doctrine of everything in it's time and place. I don't know about the "time," but I feel strongly this just ain't the "place."

One of the mistakes we regular board members make is we start being proprietary about this board. We start thinking of it as "my" board. I think this is what Mike was referring to in his last post, and he has a point. It's not "my" board and it's not "your" board.

There are people on this board who say and do things I don't like and don't respect. There are people on this board who hold opinions with which I disagree. None of that matters. I try very hard to use only two standards for my approval/disapproval of any board member. Does that person make a meaningful contribution to the collective knowledge of this board? Does that person treat others fairly and courteously? (disclaimer: perfection is neither expected nor required. However, striving for perfection is.) If I, within reasonable expectation, can answer "yes" to those questions, then it doesn't matter whether I like them or agree with them.

Regarding politics. I am, I suppose, opposed to political threads. Not because I am opposed to discussing politics, but because we seem incapable of discussing it without getting into a cat fight. We tend to make it personal by attacking the other person as being an idiot for holding their opinion, rather than disagreeing with the opinion itself (see my sig, which is meant more as a reminder to myself than to anyone else).

Regarding religion. I believe there is no God. I would hope that I would not lose anyone's respect for believing as I do, but since it is the truth, I will bear the consequences. However, though I cannot understand how anyone does believe (just as they cannot understand how I don't), I would never try to impose my belief on anyone else, or talk them out of their belief. I try very hard to respect other's beliefs, no matter how different from mine. I only have trouble with believers when they try to impose their beliefs on me or others.

I am, at this point, opposed to a "De-sensitized zone" for basically the same reason that Axiom is opposed to deleting posts and threads. My fear is that such an area, where it is implied that one can say anything one wants, will simply degenerate into one big flame war and insult fest, and be a most unpleasant place.

Frankly, after agonizing over this post for an hour, I can offer no credible solution to the problems we face. Hopefully, something I've said will spur someone else to offer reasonable solutions.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton