Welcome Spish.

In general, we do our best around here to allow those with differing opinions to express those opinions. Yes, sometimes, to our shame, the discussion gets a bit more heated and insulting than it should. I hope this discussion will not deteriorate to that level.

There are many here, myself included who believe that $1200 speaker wire will provide no audible difference from well constructed, relatively inexpensive speaker wire. We base that believe on scientific study, after double blind test, after scientific study.

There are some here who believe, as you do, that spending a great deal of money on speaker wire can make an audible difference. To the best of my memory, the only evidence I've seen which supports that position has been anecdotal testimony. I have seen no concrete, scientific proof to back that belief.

There is a forum member who takes a lot of unnecessary abuse (and hands it out sometimes, as well) because he is a believer in "trust your ears." I've always been puzzled by that statement. If that means that when you hear a product that sounds "right" or "good" to you, then that's the product for you, I'm in complete agreement. But, if that statement means one's ears, working with one's brain, are infallibly incapable of being fooled, or is not influenced by one's own bias, then I most heartily disagree.

In one of your posts, you said "you listen with your ears, not your eyes." May we then assume your belief that speaker wire will make an audible difference based upon double blind testing, thereby removing your eyes from the equation? If not, then your eyes, and the knowledge that those speaker wires cost $1200, could very well be a factor in your conclusion.

I am not trying to talk you out of your belief. Meaning no disrespect, I am not concerned about you. I am, however, concerned about those who are new and inexperienced, and who come here just looking for some help in figuring out this bewilderingly complicated and expensive hobby. I do not want them to think it necessary to spend $1200 on speaker wire to experience wonderful sound. Therefore it is incumbent upon those of us who think differently from you to state our opinion as often and vociferously as those who hold a differing opinion state theirs.

Once both positions are presented, the inexperienced are free to believe what they wish, to spend as much or as little on speaker wire as they chose, and know that their decision, at least, was based on balanced information and was their own.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton